Beat the heat with a refreshing cold beverage during those sweltering summer days. No need to head out when you can make it yourself. By reading on, learn how to create a Starbucks-style iced coffee using a Keurig.
There are numerous ways to make and enjoy your coffee. Iced coffee is an excellent way of enjoying coffee and fixing your caffeine. It is rich in caffeine and less acidic than hot coffee, so it won't irritate your stomach much when consumed in large quantities. It can be prepared in several ways; with a Keurig machine, you don't have to brew the whole pot, but only what is enough for you.
What is Iced Coffee?
Have you ever taken chilled coffee? Hot brewed coffee that has been cooled down with ice cubes or cold water before serving is called iced coffee. It can be made at home or purchased from a nearby coffee outlet. There are many ways of making iced coffee, and one is by using a Keurig machine.
What is Keurig?
You may be asking yourself, “What is a Keurig? And what does it have to do with iced coffee?”
A Keurig is a brand of coffee maker machine. The machine is designed to make both hot drinks and cold brews but is commonly used to make cold brews. It has small plastic cups which contain pre-packed ground beans, thus the single service feature. It is also known as a K-Cup machine. The machine brews the coffee before dispensing it into your cup once you put it in the machine. There are single-cup Keurig machine designs and large Keurig machines.
Also, Keurig has a line of K-Cup pods, which are readily-made coffee roasts for use in a Keurig machine.
What are the Benefits of Using a Keurig Machine?
- Keurig machines are easy to use: The machine does not require skills to operate; only simple steps, and you're done making your favorite coffee.
- Keurig machines take the shortest time possible to brew coffee, thus time-saving.
- Keurig machines are designed to allow the user to prepare a single cup at a time or several cups as desired.
- Coffee made with Keurig machines is of high quality no matter the brand since it properly extracts the coffee from the pods and mixes it well; hence it does not taste watery.
How to Make Iced Coffee with a Keurig?
There are several procedures to make iced coffee, but here are the easiest methods with excellent results!!
Before you begin, gather the following supplies to be used in the process;
- A Keurig machine
- Ice cubes: Ice cubes are used to chill hot coffee. Enough ice cubes cool the coffee faster, making it not lose its taste.
- K-Cups or any other pre-packed coffee of your wish. Those that are specifically designed for use in a Keurig. Dark roast K-Cup has a strong flavor and is thus the most preferred, but all this depends on your preference. Once you have all these, you’re ready to get started. But let’s find out the best K-Cups for making iced coffee;
1. Select the Cup
Each time, you’re craving a different flavor of K Cup. There is a variety to choose from. You can pick your desired K-Cup, or if you’re stuck on which one is most suitable for making iced coffee, opt for a dark roast and use at least 8 grams for a more robust flavor.
2. Prepare the Machine
Fill the reservoir with water, insert your K Cup, and close the lid.
3. Brew the Coffee
Depending on the model of Keurig you’re using, press the Start/ Brew control button to start and stop brewing. New models are automatic and thus don't have buttons. Likewise, you can select the “iced coffee” option, designed for brewing smaller amounts and more concentrated coffee to avoid making a weak-tasting drink once you add ice cubes. A 6-8 ounce setting is suitable for achieving this.
Before you enjoy your coffee, let it rest (preferably in the refrigerator) to cool down to prevent the ice from melting and diluting the drink.
4. Add some Flavor
When the coffee is ready, you can enhance its flavor by adding sweeteners like honey and sugar, syrups, and creamers. The taste will be heavenly! There are several ways of flavoring your iced coffee you should try out.
Best K Cups for Iced Coffee
What is your favorite K-Cup coffee pod? Here are a few Best K-Cups that are a must-try;
- Starbucks’ Pike Place K-Cup Coffee Pods
Do you love coffee from Starbucks? With Starbucks' Pike Place roast, you will make iced coffee similar to what you get from there.
This particular K Cup contains a balanced, distinct cocoa roast rich in praline.
- Victor Allen’s Morning Blend
Light roast coffee can be hard to find; if you're a light roast fan, Victor Allen's Morning Blend got you sorted.
- The Original Donut Shop Regular K-Cup Pods
This is a medium roast with a very strong and sharp flavor. Try it today, and you'll love it!
- Dunkin’ Original Blend Medium Roast K-Cup Pods
Dunkin' is a medium roast K-cup with a smooth blend and is very tasty. It makes coffee just like the one from Dunkin' stores.
- Café Bustelo Espresso Style Dark Roast K-Cup Pods
Café Bustelo is a dark roast espresso-style roast with a strong flavor.
How to Brew Iced Coffee with a Keurig
There are three significant ways to brew iced coffee with a Keurig;
- During brewing, you can add ice cubes to the reservoir to brew with the coffee. The Keurig automatically adjusts the brew time and temperature for an excellent result, and it is the most commendable method.
- Alternatively, if you want a stronger brew, select “Iced Coffee” or “Strong” on the Keurig machine to enable it to brew at a high temperature. But still;
- You can make your coffee in a Keurig machine and pour it over a large cup of ice cubes. Allow it to cool down before adding the ice to prevent the drink from diluting.
Pro Tip! After you’re done, remove all the remaining grounds from the machine to prevent clogging.
What is the Difference Between Iced Coffee and Cold Brew?
The difference between iced coffee and cold brews is based on the preparation procedure. Iced coffee is typically a hot, robust, flavorful brew chilled with ice cubes. In contrast, cold brew involves steeping ground coffee beans in cold water for about 12 hours, then filtering out the grounds to obtain a smoother and less acidic drink.
Q: Do I need special K-Cups for making iced coffee?
A: No, iced coffee can be made with any coffee flavor. However, some K-Cups are designed for making iced coffee, especially with a Keurig.
Q: Can you make iced coffee by just adding ice cubes?
Iced coffee is typically hot coffee chilled over ice cubes. It uses ingredients like regular coffee, just that ice cubes are added to it. However, if the procedure for preparing iced coffee is not well followed, the ice will likely melt and dilute the original flavor before you enjoy it.
Q: Can I spice up iced coffee?
Definitely, Yes. Iced coffee is best enjoyed when flavored. You can add milk, creamers, and syrups of your preference to sweeten your iced coffee.
Q: How can I prevent ice cubes from melting faster when making iced coffee with a Keurig?
That’s nothing to worry about. Make your iced coffee early enough and store it in the refrigerator until you're ready to drink it. Alternatively, make a stronger batch which will take longer to melt down the ice.
Q: How can I enjoy iced coffee without ice cubes?
All you have to do if you don't have ice cubes or don't like them, you either use cold water to brew or make a cold brew which involves steeping ground coffee beans in cold water for about 12 hours to brew.
Iced coffee is a very refreshing beverage. Especially when the atmospheric temperature is too high, you must quench your thirst with something cool and sweet. Try making yourself iced coffee this summer. Anyway, you can do this even if it's not summer. Make it yourself without the mess; most importantly, it is self-customized, pocket friendly, and tasty! If you've read our guide, you will do great now that you can make iced coffee with a Keurig.